Monday, July 1, 2013

Dogs and Horses


When I think of horses or ranches and how dogs fit in, I typically think about cattle dogs, and Australian Shepherds...or Great Pyrenees as "protectors."  My parents had a horse ranch while I was growing up and those were the typical dogs they had around to "work" the property and animals.    They either chased away coyotes or rounded up the horses, or helped herd the sheep.  They all had a "purpose," none lived in the house or were even allowed inside.  I learned to stop asking if they could come indoors with us, it was ranch life for all these animals and this was a part I had to accept.  

Well, this weekend I attended a horse clinic in Denver that was put on by Pat Parelli and his team.  You didn't see a cattle dog mix or Aussie running around after him and his wife, Linda.  No Great Pyrenees or such to protect the horses or their property.  Nope, they had two tiny little Dachshunds following them around.  Maybe because they are great companions or smaller travelers with their team of large horses, maybe they prefer the breed, who knows.  But, they most definitely were a crowd pleaser!  These guys were so well behaved and off leash mostly in the large area filled with people and horses.  I kept watching the little dogs run around and told myself, "pay attention to the horses!"  





No comments:

Post a Comment